This year we decided to embrace Earth Hour wholeheartedly. We felt this worthy cause deserved our full attention since everyone that works at HESC has a passion for conservation, and we wanted to do our bit towards taking care of our planet. We thought long and hard about what we could do, and cramming all the ideas we came up with into a single hour just wasn’t going to work.
We were all so full of enthusiasm that we needed to think outside the box!
And that’s when we arrived at the idea to support Earth Hour beyond 2011. Our aim was to make staff and visitors aware of our project, which we’d christened…
Earth Hour 60+
This is what we did:
- We created a lantern and posted it on Facebook to show the world that weÂ supported Earth Hour and had a vested interest in the wellbeing of our planet.
- On the 26th of March 2011 we put up posters all over the Centre in a bid to persuade visitors to join us in supporting Earth Hour.
- The guides spoke to the guests about Earth Hour during their hourly tours. Explaining how they could participate, as well as the importance of doing so.
- Mrs Roode (HESC’s founder) and all the staff members signed an Earth Hour pledge.
- Staff members – Henk Labuschagne and Jaces Bornman – gave a speech about everything one can do in support of Earth Hour and saving the planet. It boiled down to the three R’s: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
- We turned off all our lights between 20h30 and 21h30 and sat around the fire toasting marshmallows and chatting. What a blast!